RATIONALE FOR THE PROGRAM
Software Engineering is an exciting, challenging and dynamic discipline. Software Applications form an integral part of every aspect of society and modern life. New computing technologies are introduced at an enormous rate and the Software Engineering field develops and changes continually and rapidly. Consequently Software Engineering has evolved into a dynamic and challenging field of study.
Students in the course of their degree are exposed to the Applied as well as theoretical foundations in all areas of the field, gain an understanding of the principles that underlie development of systems, apply their knowledge on real life projects and acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to cope with the astonishing rate of change of the specific discipline.
The curriculum is in compliance with the already established standards proposed by international Software and System Societies. Graduates are well equipped to successfully follow fulfilling career paths in many diverse areas of business and academia.
The primary objective of the program is to produce a high quality graduate with an entrepreneurial and problem-solving mindset. The specific objectives of the program are:
- Educating and training students for the very dynamic and rapidly changing science and technology market.
- Educating and training students to become life-long learners by providing them with a sound base in computer science, basic sciences as well as general education.
- Motivating students to become innovators who can respond very positively to the challenges and opportunities presented by new ideas and technologies.
- Laying a strong foundation for, and instilling confidence in students who may want to pursue post-graduate studies later in life.
- To provide education for the students with at most quality and thereby to cultivate confidence in the students to serve the country better
- Assisting Government’s policy of increasing trained manpower, thereby reducing the shortage of skilled manpower that are required for different organizations, to develop the nation
- Assisting the industrial community and institutions around in the region to achieve excellence
|Areas of Competences
|Cognitive Knowledge Skill
|Attitude (Transferable Skills)
Program learning outcome specifies the expectation of the program at the end of educational process in the department of the Software Engineering. This clearly state what our students able to perform at the end of successful completion of the course work. This mainly focuses on the achievable output unlike the intention described as part of the program aim.
- Knowledge and understanding of the essential facts, concepts, principles and theories related to Software Engineering.
- Ability to show the mastery of the software engineering knowledge and skills, and professional issues necessary to bring practice as software engineer
- Ability to work as an individual and as a part of team to develop and deliver quality software products.
- Ability to reconcile conflicting project activities, finding acceptable compromises within limitations of cost, time, knowledge, existing systems and organizations
- Ability to design appropriate solutions in one or more application domains using software engineering approaches that integrate ethical, social, legal and economic concerns.
- Ability to learn new models, techniques and technologies as they emerge and appreciate the necessity of such continuing professional development.
- Study of advanced courses from basic and preliminary courses that will make the students to understand all dimensions of the field (Software Engineering) thoroughly.
- Acquiring practical skills and knowledge in all dimensions of Software Engineering field by being involved in several group/individual projects.
- Assist the ICT related tasks in an Organization
- Make rational and justified decisions regarding the selection of methods, tools and programming techniques for the development of a computer application.
- Design software architecture for software development.
- Develop quality software in various domain
- Handle system programming tasks.
- Use CASE tools for software productivity.
- Develop web sites for network based applications.
- Design and develop database applications.
- Maintain and re-engineer the industry software projects.
- Operate and design hardware systems.
- Apply the acquired skill professionally to problem solving in a real world environment.
- Manage the process of software quality management and Assurance.
The graduates of the program will be able to:
- To make rational and justified decisions regarding the selection of methods, tools and techniques for the development of an application.
- Design, develop and maintain good quality software by applying software engineering principles
- Selecting the appropriate software model to develop software based on the type of project.
- Ability to design the test cases for the application and test the application either by performing manual testing or automation testing using the appropriate testing tools
- Ability to design and develop advanced web sites using client side scripting and server side scripting languages
- Ability to design, develop and maintain database systems.
- Ability to assist in the software industry to produce good quality software by applying the software quality techniques.