MSc in Leadership & Good Governance
Rationale of Program
The MA in Leadership &Good Governance is a specialized interdisciplinary post graduate degree offered by the Microlink Information Technology and Business College in Mekelle, Tigray of Ethiopia. The rationale of the program is to respond to the ongoing economic, social and political developments in the country. This program meets the needs of those who aspire to become leaders in public life, whether in governing institutions, in the commercial business sector, as well as in local government and civil society groups. The curriculum of the program is especially prepared to address the critical demand for qualified development-oriented leaders who can work for the Public Sectors as well as Service-Giving Enterprises and the NGO Sectors. Also the program has the motivation to make it fit in to the new world where leaders and Development Managers who are equipped with technical and behavioral competence are highly required.
Leadership requires effective management of people and a clear understanding of human behavior and social processes. Leaders need to have a good understanding both of themselves and of those whom they will lead. Leaders need to know why people behave as they do in relation to their job, work group, and organization. This knowledge of individuals’ perceptions, attitudes, and behavior enables leaders to choose appropriate leadership styles and managerial practices to increase organization effectiveness and positive human outcomes.
The course moves progressively through individual, group, and organizational levels of behavior drawing on concepts and practices from the field of Organizational Behavior (OB). It also examines the interrelationship of behavioral phenomena among these levels. Studying OB provides a basic understanding of your own and others’ behavior, particularly in teams. It enhances your ability to communicate and work effectively with others, core skills of leadership. Our goal is to help you strengthen your people management skills so you can be a successful leader in any field you choose.
Human Resources Specialists need a fundamental understanding of the interactions that occur among people in the workplace. This Social Science course provides the student with the tools to understand and evaluate individual, group and organizational processes. The student will also gain an appreciation of the relevance of the study of organizational behaviour to the practice of human resource management.
The program develops ethical and effective leaders who are capable of bringing about planned change while maintaining institutional stability. It provides a distinctive learning journey that accentuates the intimate link between leadership and good governance.
To this end, the program has been made to contain foundation and practical modules, which consist of 110 ECTS, among which 20 ECTS are devoted to internship and professional modules.
In this program trainees will be offered foundation modules which include Basic Laws of Ethiopia and Human Rights for Leadership, Transformational Leadership, Development Issues and Theories and the Ethiopian Situation, Ethiopian Public Administration, Service Delivery and Change Management, Public Policy for Leadership, Globalization and International Relations, Leading People, and Managing Resources and Operations, Research Methodology for Leadership, Leadership Development, Internships, Co- Curricular Activities, and Masters Thesis.
Graduates of MA in leadership and good governance can effectively discharge responsibilities including in the following areas in government, non government and private companies.
- Exercise knowledge of leadership making and implementation
- Manage various development projects in government, non-government organizations and private institutions
- Manage public financial and material resources so that they can be efficiently utilized
- Establish the system and lead change in public sectors, NGOs and private sectors through visioning, strategic and effective communication;
- Suggest solutions by understanding problems of changes in administration in public, private as well as NGOs
- Effectively lead human resources to achieve organizational objectives
- Engage in independent research and consultancy services to solve administrative, political and economic problems,
Exhibit ethical and exemplary behavior and combat corruption; and demonstrate a sense of cooperation, honesty, loyalty and devotion to public service.
Upon completion of the Master of Arts in Leadership and Good Governance, graduates will be able to have the following professional and technical competences:
- Understand the theoretical concepts of leadership and good governance and analyze their application in the Ethiopian context as well as in Africa
- Critically analyze the theoretical perspectives and discourses on economic, social and political development and the role of government in development and how these discourses should be outfitted in the context of Ethiopia
- Understand the leadership contemporary issues and approaches and techniques in Ethiopia and Africa as well as in the world
- To have practical skills of research methodologies and techniques to carry out independent researches and communicate clearly in written and readable documents
- Plan, organize, direct and control activities in government and non-governmental organizations
- Engage actively in policy formulation, analysis, implementation and evaluation in the public and voluntary organizations
- Effectively participate in resolving conflict, negotiating, coaching, guiding and building consensus among different actors
A applicant should has first degree from a recognized university or; an equivalent professional qualification, with at least two (2) years work experience.
Applications for admission into this program are opened from September to November for every year.
Employment opportunities for the graduates of this academic program are in:
- Public service institutions,
- Research and higher learning institutions,
- International organizations, and
- Private sector.
This is two (2) years with four (4) semesters program which offers a flexible intensive lectures and internship.
Language used for learning, teaching and research report writing is English. Thus, the applicants are required to have good background in English language is hence the prerequisite for candidates to join the program.
Mode of delivery for this MA-program is largely face-to-face. It also uses diverse multimedia with a blended approach to suit the interest of students and effectiveness of teaching/learning process. The learning process is supported with different types of instructional media such as Whiteboard, Liquid Crystal Display (LCD), Flip chart, etc.
This program is composed of both practical and foundation modules.In orders to qualify for graduation, students are required to:
- Take 113 ECTS to graduate;
- Successfully complete all courses with two “C” Grades;
- Have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00; and
- Successful complete an acceptable Master Thesis with a minimum grade of “satisfactory”.
Upon successful completion of the program,
“Master of Arts Degree in Leadership and Good Governance” will be awarded.
“የማስተር ዲግሪ በአመራር እና መልካም አስተዳደር.”