MSc in Computer Science
Rationale of the Program
The basic rationale for the program is the prevailing conditions in the country with respect to the needs for professionals in computer science and the future trends that are developing in the demands for the professions. The needs of the country for computer professionals specialized in computer science can be met through graduate studies that are being currently proposed.
- The college, in designing the courses for graduate studies, has to take into account the fact that computer science is a very fast changing broad discipline.
- The college firmly believes that in the not-so-distant future the country would take steps to strengthen the computer sector of its economy by attempting to also be a producer of essential products. To assist in the realization of such vision and objectives, it would be necessary to launch now the training of graduate students in computer science who would well be prepared to participate in these endeavors in the future.
- We now find ourselves in the Information Age (or Knowledge Age) where the developments of the Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) have become so pervasive that a nation’s economy is directly linked with how these technologies are applied. Thus, this curriculum has been designed to equip the students with the necessary knowledge and skills and to respond to the demands of the country in the Information and Communication Technologies.
- The usage and demand of a computer system (including its hardware, software, and user) has greatly increased in the country to such an extent that it requires the training of appropriate professionals for the maximum utilization of computer systems.
- The demand for software engineers and their products have increased in the international market to such an extent that the country’s private and public sectors can harness this opportunity, coupled with low cost of labor, by producing quality software products and exporting to foreign countries including the Western World thereby alleviating the country’s need for hard currency. In this regard, the various types of software systems that must be treated are Information Systems, Real-Time Systems, Distributed Systems, and Embedded Systems.
- To ensure that students who graduate in Computer Science Stream stay on the edge of education and research in Computer Systems, thereby enabling them to further study their postgraduate program (PhD) and conduct research in the areas of Data Warehousing and Mining, Operating Systems, Software Engineering, Programming Languages, Expert Systems, Computer Networks, Distributed Computing, Mobile and Pervasive Computing, etc.
The overall objective of graduate study is to provide students with the intellectual depth and breadth, and appropriate training necessary to pursue productive careers in the professions and in various fields of teaching and research. The program will also provide advanced-level knowledge in the latest theory and technology in computer science. The program provides opportunities to students to study advanced theory and practice in computer science and solve problems that may arise in practice. Advanced materials are presented in the form of course work and research to develop the student’s better understanding of, and greater skill in solving, new and old scientific problems.
On the basis of this general principle, the department has designed a graduate program of study to meet the following specific objectives:
- The program aims to provide a balance of advanced computer science theory with the opportunity to gain practical, hands-on experience, which focuses on areas that are most relevant to the needs of the country.
- The program aims to expose postgraduate students to relevant strands of contemporary research activity as appropriate and the knowledge and skills to undertake further research.
- The program aims to direct postgraduate students to critically reflect on and evaluate a range of advanced topics in computer science.
- The program aims to facilitate the necessary skills and knowledge to analyze and choose from a range of programming paradigms and to plan and develop software in the chosen paradigm.
- The program aims to promote an ability to critically appraise the professional, legal and ethical framework applicable to careers in computing.
- The program aims to prepare graduates for effective participation and leadership in the country’s industrialization.
- The program will produce trained manpower in computer science for higher learning institutions as well as other organizations.
- The program will provide opportunities for independent study in the formulation and solution of particular computing problems through research and project work.
- The program will let graduates to work productively as computer scientists, including supportive and leadership roles on multidisciplinary teams.
- The program will train skilled manpower for the newly established universities in different parts of the country.
- The program will give students an opportunity to link their subject interest and expertise with newly acquired expertise in computing.
- Graduates will gain a substantial knowledge in anyone of the following computer science specialties: Database, Networking, Artificial Intelligence, Information Security, Software Engineering, Distributed System, and Data Mining.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to recognize, design, and implement efficient software solutions to problems.
- Graduates will stimulate research to be undertaken by both students and faculty members and thereby help build up research capabilities and experience within department.
- Graduates will become successful professionals able to gain employment and/or to be accepted into a computer science Ph.D. program.
It should be emphasized that in attempting to meet the above objectives, the Department will strive to respond to the needs of the national economy in this particular field of interest. Furthermore, it is hoped that the research that will be conducted will contribute to the development of computer industries in the country and also strengthen instructions both at the graduate and undergraduate levels. In particular, the proposed graduate program will provide to qualified students the opportunity to specialize in one of the following areas: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information System, and Computer Engineering.
The ranges of courses offered are expected to meet the needs of students in a particular area. The thesis development and research work will also provide the student with the opportunity to make an in depth study in the particular subject area, thus strengthening the specialist skills of the candidate. One significant contribution of the graduate program in computer science is the opening up of the possibility and opportunity to develop, through teaching and research, computer applications for the different sub-disciplines. A strong graduate program will thus be a basis on which acquisition of new technology and its relevant applications will be based.
M.Sc. graduates in computer science basically design, develop, and manage systems that process, store, and transmit information. Graduates shall have an understanding of both computer hardware and software and gain enough knowledge to design computer systems for a variety of applications. Applications include various large scale software developments, embedded systems used in mobile phones, industrial robots, home appliances, network and communication systems design and administration, database system development and administration, etc.
In general, students following the MSc program acquire the knowledge, skills and competences listed below. Students will also acquire other qualifications through elective subject elements and other study activities.
A graduate from this program is expected to be able to:
- Acquire knowledge about State-of-the-art principles for program and system development, including appropriate use of structuring methodologies and programming paradigms.
- Gain knowledge about relevant mathematical, statistical, and logical foundations for constructing effective and efficient solutions to a variety of computational problems.
- Obtain knowledge about Academic literature, terminology, traditions and research methods within computer science in general, and their area of specialization in particular.
- Acquire knowledge about relevant real-world applications of computer science and information technology, e.g. in business, cultural, health, environmental, and other social contexts.
- Demonstrate intellectual competency and transferable knowledge and skills, and articulate them effectively,
- Design security strategy for computer and network resources of different institutions.
- Develop different software products on time, within budget, and with few or no defects.
- Manage large-scale computer and database system and networks.
- Develop computers that simulate human learning and reasoning ability.
- Provide computer science/technology-related consultancy services, and
- Teach and conduct community based research in computer science.
An applicant must:
- Have a University degree from a recognized institution in any field of study
Duration of Study
The duration of study is two years, in these two years there are four semesters.
- Graduation Requirement
Graduation requirement of the program will be fulfilling the graduation requirements set by the college.
Master of Science Degree in Computer Science
የማስተር ዲግሪ በኮምፒተር ሳይንስ
Mode of Delivery
This program is mainly a modular based program. The courses in each module are delivered parallel throughout the semester by keeping the sequence number of the modules.